As part of the Keast and Hood team, BKM provided MEP design services through the small business Indefinite Delivery/Indefinite Quantity contract to provide structural/civil engineering services for the Gaithersburg campus from 2009-2014.
Projects included the evaluation, renovation, modification, replacement, and upgrading existing building systems as well as construction of new buildings on campus.
- Net Zero Energy, Residential Test Facility – To demonstrate viability of the Net Zero Energy concept for a residence, the team performed civil site and landscape design, utility design, and electrical engineering required to connect the new facility to services to an existing adjacent building on the NIST campus.
- Loading Dock Annex Building 220 – Design of loading dock annex for receiving and temporary storage.
- Steam Line Building 303 – Re-routing of steam and chilled water utilities after new construction interrupted previous routing.
- After-Burner Study, Building 205 – Investigation of the insulation and sheet metal enclosure that were damaged as well as duct supports where bearing plates had fallen out and were not properly attached.
- Temporary Parking Lots – Assisting with the design of two MDE-permitted temporary parking lots for use by construction contractors on the Gaithersburg campus. The lots are expected to be in service for two years.
- Earthquake Assessment at Building 101 – Post-earthquake safety and condition assessment survey of deteriorated masonry at 13th Story penthouse of NIST Administration. Post-earthquake structural condition assessment observation and recommendations report.
- NIST Road to Robotics Test Facility – New access road to serve the existing NIST Robotics Test Facility – includes laboratory spaces to test robots, and hosts periodic meetings and conferences.
- Recycling Center – New outdoor recycling center on campus included installation of new mechanical shredding equipment to process cardboard and scrap metal.
- Steam and Chilled Water Generator Plant, Building 302 – Engineering design, evaluation, and repair of existing condenser water pumps.